A New Situation and a New Presence (Deuteronomy 10)
- Reading I: Deuteronomy 10:12-22
- Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 147
- Gospel Reading: Matthew 17:22-27
On Deuteronomy 10
Moses is instructed to build an ark of acacia wood and place there all the reminders of the Covenant at Sinai, including a copy of the tablets of the commandments that were broken on the occassion of the Golden Calf rebellion. From now on, the Ark of the Covenant takes the place of the Tent of Dwelling and it will become the sacrament of God’s presence in the midst of His people. It is not that the Israelites are being told to recover from a fall (as claimed in an article below) but that in view of the Israel that is now about to enter the Promised land, a new Presence of God is required. In his speech, Moses continues to emphasize the love of God and the fidelity and loyalty with which the Israelites should respond.
See other articles…
On the Temple Tax and a Fish
For the Gospel reading on the question as to whether Jesus and his community should pay the temple tax, go to this page.
August 8 is also the memorial of St. Dominic de Guzman, priest and founder of the Order of Preachers, aka, Dominicans. He is a Spaniard from Caleruega and was a contemporary of the more popular St. Francis of Assisi.
St. Dominic on the Web
- WikiPedia: St. Dominic
- Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Dominic
- Dominican Province of St. Joseph: History of St. Dominic
- SQPN: Saint Dominic de Guzman
- Dominican Third Order: St. Dominic
- EWTN: St. Dominic
- Catholicism: Saint Dominic de Guzman
- Saints of the Day: St. Dominic de Guzman
Popularity: 1% [?]