Feast of the Holy Cross
- Reading I: Numbers 21:4b-9
- Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 78
- Reading II: Philippians 2:6-11
- Gospel: John 3:13-17
We adore You, O Christ, and we praise You.
Because, by Your holy cross, You have redeemed the world. (Via Crucis)
More Information about the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross on the Web
- Women for Faith and Family
- Orthodox America
- Orthodox Research Institute
- Orthodox Wiki
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- Catholic Culture
- Catholic Fire
- American Catholic
At the Bible Workshop, one finds the readings of the day reviewed and a guide for reading is given for the day’s Gospel. See Workshop: The Exaltation of the Cross
The Liturgy of the Word: A MindMap
Click on the image below for a mindmap of the day’s readings.
Related Articles from the Mystical Geek
- In the Shadow of the Cross
- A list of passages from St. Paul’s letters where the cross is mentioned. I posted the article in 2005 in answer to the opinion that the importance give to the cross by Catholics is not biblical. What can be more biblical than St. Paul’s theology of the cross?
- Adoration of the Cross of Christ
- This post is part of the Symposium with the Fathers I started in 2008. In this article, I present a selection from John Damascene where he explains how the cross is prefigured in Old Testament passages.
- The Lenten Cross
- Augustine preaches about the cross in his sermon 205. The context is the season of Lent, but the content of the sermon can still serve as food for thought on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.
- The Cross in the Early Church
- A translation of an article from the Diccionario de Espiritualidad. The author explains how the cross was regarded in the early church, especially in connection to the sacrament of baptism.
- Deny Yourself, Take Up Your Cross and Follow Me
- A presentation of Augustine’s Sermon 96. Augustine explains the passage from Mark 8:34 and relates it to other biblical passages that his flock is already familiar with.
Popularity: 1% [?]