Daily Readings

The daily readings for the Eucharistic celebrations.

Fathers

The Fathers of the Church and their explanations of the readings of the day.

History

Historical books of the Old Testament

The Sunday Lectionary

Sermon and homily notes for Sundays

Video

Videos mostly from YouTube

Home » Daily Gospel, Daily Readings, New Testament Writers

Freedom to Love

Submitted by on Sunday, 5 October 2008No Comment
  • Reading I: Galatians 1:6-12
  • Resp. Psalm: Psalm 111:1-2,9-10
  • Gospel Reading: Luke 10:25-37

When I was still in high school, I first heard this passage from Paul used by a proselytizer to argue that Catholics have been misled in their faith by priests who preach a non-biblical Christ.  The argument would be plausible if not for the fact that Paul

• is not speaking of a written gospel (the first gospel will be completed around 70 AD or thereafter by Mark)
  • his intent is not to proselytize a new faith nor recruit new members for his church (since he is speaking to people whom he has evangelized but who have embraced a gospel announced by Jewish Christians who think that a Gentile has to became a Jew first before becoming a Christian )
  • his purpose is to uphold the gospel that with acknowledgment from the three pillars of the Church then — Peter, James and John — he was given the mandate to preach (thus, he was not drawing Christians away from communion from the apostles)

The passage for this day’s reading is taken from the section of the letter to the Galatians where Paul defends his ministry and the gospel he proclaims.  I have written an article about this part  of the letter here.

The Letter to the Galatians is Paul’s letter about Christian freedom.  It is a freedom that Christians receive because of Christ’s love, that same love which is demanded in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

In Luke’s version of the question about the Greatest Commandment, we find the evangelist departing from the versions of Mark and Matthew. He rewrites the dialogue of the lawyer and Jesus in such a way that it is the lawyer who answers the question he proposes.  Luke highlights the fact that the lawyer wishes to justify himself — a throwback from the original version in Mark where the question was asked in attack mode (i.e., to entrap Jesus).  The reply of Jesus leads to the parable of the Good Samaritan.  Thus, Luke is able to highlight the command which both Mark and Matthew emphasize — love of neighbor — in the specific form of a gesture of compassion.

Bible Article
Read about the day’s Gospel reading here: Compassion and Eternal Life
Galatians 1:6-12
View in: NAB NIV KJV NJB Vulg Greek
6I wonder that you are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ, unto another gospel.
7Which is not another, only there are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema.
9As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema.
10For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? If I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11For I give you to understand, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.
12For neither did I receive it of man, nor did I learn it; but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Psalm 111:1-2,9-10
View in: NAB NIV KJV NJB Vulg LXX Hebrew
1I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; in the council of the just: and in the congregation.
2Great are the works of the Lord: sought out according to all his wills.
9He hath sent redemption to his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever. Holy and terrible is his name:
10The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. A good understanding to all that do it: his praise continueth for ever and ever.
Luke 10:25-37
View in: NAB NIV KJV NJB Vulg Greek
25And behold a certain lawyer stood up, tempting him, and saying, Master, what must I do to possess eternal life?
26But he said to him: What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27He answering, said: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind: and thy neighbour as thyself.
28And he said to him: Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
29But he willing to justify himself, said to Jesus: And who is my neighbour?
30And Jesus answering, said: A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, who also stripped him, and having wounded him went away, leaving him half dead.
31And it chanced, that a certain priest went down the same way: and seeing him, passed by.
32In like manner also a Levite, when he was near the place and saw him, passed by.
33But a certain Samaritan being on his journey, came near him; and seeing him, was moved with compassion.
34And going up to him, bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine: and setting him upon his own beast, brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
35And the next day he took out two pence, and gave to the host, and said: Take care of him; and whatsoever thou shalt spend over and above, I, at my return, will repay thee.
36Which of these three, in thy opinion, was neighbour to him that fell among the robbers?
37But he said: He that shewed mercy to him. And Jesus said to him: Go, and do thou in like manner.

Popularity: 11% [?]

Leave your response!

You must be logged in to post a comment.