Daily Readings

The daily readings for the Eucharistic celebrations.

Fathers

The Fathers of the Church and their explanations of the readings of the day.

History

Historical books of the Old Testament

The Sunday Lectionary

Sermon and homily notes for Sundays

Video

Videos mostly from YouTube

Home » Daily Readings, New Testament Writers

Choose love…

Submitted by on Wednesday, 17 September 2008No Comment
  • Reading I:  1 Corinthians 13:1-13
  • Resp. Psalm:  Psalm 33:12
  • Gospel:  Luke 7:31-35

heron-sm

The love by which we love is agape.   It is not the kind of love we often hear about in songs or read about in romantic novels.  It is the love by which God has loved us.

Earlier today, I heard a student saying that one cannot love unless one has learned to love oneself.  I told her that the idea is based more on the song "The Greatest Love Of All" than on the scriptures.  We love because we have experienced love in our families.  It is through the family that we first have our experience of a love that is self-sacrificing, self-giving and life-giving.  "This is love", writes John.  "Not that we have loved, but that God has loved us first."

The heron was a symbol of this love.  It is said that during a drought, when it could not find anything to feed its children, it would peck its heart until it bled and from its blood nourish its young.  That is agape; it dies so as to give life to others.

"For God so loved the world", John would write, "that He gave us His only Son".(John 3:16)

1 Corinthians 13:1-13
View in: NAB NIV KJV NJB Vulg Greek
1If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up;
5Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil;
6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth;
7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed.
9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away.
11When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But, when I became a man, I put away the things of a child.
12We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know I part; but then I shall know even as I am known.
13And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity.
Psalm 33:12
View in: NAB NIV KJV NJB Vulg LXX Hebrew
12Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord: the people whom he hath chosen for his inheritance.
Luke 7:31-35
View in: NAB NIV KJV NJB Vulg Greek
31And the Lord said: Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?
32They are like to children sitting in the marketplace, and speaking one to another, and saying: We have piped to you, and you have not danced: we have mourned, and you have not wept.
33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and you say: He hath a devil.
34The Son of man is come eating and drinking: and you say: Behold a man that is a glutton and a drinker of wine, a friend of publicans and sinners.
35And wisdom is justified by all her children.

Popularity: 4% [?]

Leave your response!

You must be logged in to post a comment.